Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hair on your W-H-A-T???

"Mom, I just want you to know that
I have H-A-I-R on my V-A-G-I-N-A."
Those are the words that were thrown at me approximately 45 minutes ago, in the bathroom during bedtime routine. My 9 year-old totally blindsided me.
And hey, I'm the mom that actually is trying to explain that "vulva" is really the appropriate term we should use instead of "vagina".
But sometimes you just aren't prepared.
So while I'm sure the nightly easel drawings will look something like this over the next few weeks:



I'm prepared to have a fuller discussion with my little one tomorrow.
And this is what it's going to be about:




My husband agrees that this "says it all". [Thanks baby for the advice.]
And by the way, I love having a vagina.
Hair and all.

16 comments:

Swirl Girl said...

and so it begins...crap.

my 9 year old still is smooth as a baby's ....well, vagina!

Moooooog35 said...

HAIR?!

Yeah.

Someone needs a trim.

Katie said...

Oh My God. I'm so not ready to be a mom...Shit.

Unknown said...

ha. yeah, that would catch me off guard too...AND NINE???? IS THAT REALLY how early we have to expect that???

ugh.

MJenks said...

Great.

Fifteen months. Fifteen fucking months.

Thanks for the warning.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I love that picture! It is one of those that should be printed and put in the kids bathroom ! :)

I actually bought my sister something similar...

it has two cartoon kids one girl, one boy in a bathtub, and the caption with the boy looking at the girl..

"No you can't look at mine, you cut yours off!!!"

Or something like that...she has it hanging in her bathroom!

Blonde Goddess said...

God. It's beginning.
Mine are all past the pre-pubescent thing and well into the "please don't let them be stupid and get pregnant stage".

EVERYTHING changes when they start growing hair in funny places.

Dr Zibbs said...

As long as you keep the hair under control.

Anonymous said...

Is it me, or are kids hitting puberty earlier than our generation did?

Good luck.

Sarah said...

LOL! Man I'm scared of parenting during puberty! I'm kinda glad we're having a BOY so hopefully the Hubby can have the more awkward conversations... hopefully, but not likely, I'm sure. Gonna post all about the boy bits tonight! :) La tee daaa!

Anonymous said...

Already? Noooooooo...mine's 8...that's it. No turning 9 for her. We're skippin it. She 's gotta stay 8 forever.

marie6 said...

oh no! they grow up so fast, and only nine!

binks said...

Yeah, well good luck with that.

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

At 9?!? WTF are you feeding her?

I guess it's time to discuss bikini waxes too, right?

Yikes.

The Nice One said...

My seven year old drew a picture not too unlike the one you fear will plaster your easel someday. I wasn't sure whether I should be shocked and horrified or appreciate her artistic talents.
Parenting SUCKS some days.

D'Lynn said...

sooooo not looking forward to that!!! Girls!